Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Wonder Woman Bracelets Part I

While starting a pair of Wonder Woman bracelets, I soon realized I'd need to design the hand wraps first in order to properly size the bracelets to fit over top.  This part focuses on the hand wraps and Part II will feature the bracelets themselves.


Below are the supplies I used.  Most are pretty self-explanatory, except for the purple and green package which contains sew on Velcro.


Optional materials included some paint supplies I used to touch up the edges- there were a few spots I hadn't lined up perfectly when sewing and I didn't like being able to see the marker lines on the reverse side on the edges.

 
I purchased a medium brown synthetic leather at the fabric store to create the hand wraps.  It wasn't my first choice in material but was certainly the most practical and economical to get the length I needed (this particular material was 56 inches long.)  A half yard was more than enough.

 

I cut two 2 1/2 inch strips, one of which is shown above.  I then folded each strip in half and sewed very carefully along the edges.  I used small clips to hold the material where I wanted it while sewing because I did not want to create permanent pin holes. 

 

I then sewed Velcro to the end of the first strip and wrapped it around my hand one time, adding the other piece of the Velcro where the material overlapped so I would get a snug fit, as shown below.  Next, I fully wrapped the material around my hand and repeated the process at the other end of the strip so I could secure the other end to my wrist.  In hindsight, I could have sewed the Velcro to the pleather before sewing the strips and then the stitches where I attached the Velcro wouldn't have shown on the reverse.


Also of note, I was glad I wrapped the strips separately on my left and right hands before adding the Velcro.  The two pieces should be mirror images (by that I mean nearly the same but one is in reverse.)  If you position the Velcro identically on both strips then the seams will be at the top on one hand and the bottom on the other.  The goal is to have the seams at the bottom on both hands.


As I mentioned earlier, I did some touch up with acrylic paint on the edges of the strips, as there were a few parts that didn't perfectly align and the green marker lines on the underside of the fabric were showing.  This is the final look at the hand wraps.  The next installment will feature the Wonder Woman bracelets which go over top.

No comments:

Post a Comment