Monday, January 20, 2020

White Layered Bow Tie


Here’s the next installment for Bow Tie Friday! 



Materials needed include two types of ribbon, scissors, needle and thread, sew on Velcro, and a pendant (not pictured below; see on finished product.)  



I found a decorative 3/8” ribbon that I really liked but it was too narrow for the bow tie, so I searched for a larger size to pair it with.  As shown below, I layered the 3/8” ribbon and a 5/8” inch ribbon selection and stitched them together.



I cut a strip, looped it as pictured, and stitched it in place to create the left side of the bow.  Then I made a matching piece for the right side. 



Next, I cut a long strip to go down the center of the tie with about ¾” excess length and stitched all three pieces together at the top center.  For the neck band, I cut out a 16” piece of the 5/8” ribbon by itself.  (It will fit under the shirt collar and not be seen.)  I flipped the excess length over to the back and stitched it over the neck band onto the back of the tie. The back of the tie is shown below.



I sewed Velcro on the ends of the neck band so it can be easily put on and taken off.  Lastly, I stitched on the pendant.  It brings the piece together and also helps cover some of the stitching.



Note: I later added a little Fray Check to the cut ends of the ribbon to prevent them from fraying.



1 comment: